Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Adventures in Mixology

So....during the interim between school (a week and a half left of the MBA program thank you!) and back to work, I decided to break out the martini shaker and the high ball once again and get behind the bar. I am working in a Mexican restaurant with people I like and trust which makes it a little less bleak...but in the meantime I couldn't control myself and I let my creative spirits (pun intended) go to work. As we have an exhaustive selection of tequila that range from $3.50 to $45 a shot, I have extended my palate to appreciate the forbidden cactus nectar...to the point without vomiting. Here are a couple that I invented in my strokes of brilliance as I like to call them: (please don't ask for exact measurements, I don't believe in or keep track of them)

La Abuelita
Pour the following ingredients over 1 scoop ice in a martini shaker:
  • 1- 1 1/2 shots Cazadores reposado tequila
  • 1/2 shot (or so) of cacao liquer
  • 1/2 shot (or so) of Frangelico or other hazelnut liquer
  • Splash of half and half
  • 2 dashes of cinnamon powder
Shake vigorously for 15-20 seconds, serve up in martini glass.

Frambuayarita
Pour the following ingredients over 1 scoop ice in a martini shaker:

  • 1 1/2 shots Tequila Mayor reposado
  • 1/2 shot Cointreau
  • Splash simple syrup (or rock candy syrup)
  • 1 shot sweet and sour mix
  • Juice from 1/4 lime
  • 1 oz papaya puree
  • 1 oz raspberry puree
  • Splash orange juice

Shake vigorously for 15-20 seconds, remove cover and serve on the rocks in chilled pint glass. If you don't happen to have raspberry and papaya puree lying around the house, buy frozen papaya and raspberries, try to defrost them beforehand but if you're in an alcoholic frenzy puree them in the blender with all ingredients before pouring over ice.

That's it! Let me know if you try either one...if you're not into tequila these would work equally as well with light or dark rum.

-TT-



No comments: